What would Christmas be without a batch of rum balls? Fudgy and moreish, rum balls are the ultimate Christmas treat and they also make an ideal gift. At Vebena, we've come up with a (almost) guilt-free version that is actually good for you...if you hold on the rum!
These rum balls are not only vegan but also gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free and they freeze well too. Make a batch of these, pop them in the freezer and you've got some of your Christmas preparations done early.
Quick and easy to make, you'll have these whipped up in no time!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup raisins (or sultanas)
- 2 tbsp dark rum (or substitute with orange juice)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp Peruvian Cacao & Vanilla Bean Plant Protein
- grated rind of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
to decorate three ways
- cacao powder, extra
- dessicated coconut
- 30g dark chocolate
- Soak raisins in rum for an hour, or longer.
- Drain the raisins, keeping the rum to add later.
- Combine dates and raisins in a food processor and blend until roughly chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the rum, and blend until well combined.
- Shape teaspoons of mixture into balls. Refrigerate until firm.
- Remove rum balls from fridge and dust with extra cacao, roll in coconut or coat in melted chocolate.